04 February 2006

Ladies First

The following are just some brief notes on The Revolution...yes, it was televised.

Lots of thoughts come to mind regarding the passing of Coretta Scott King. There is the irony that Dr. King was killed April 4, twenty-three days before Mrs. King's birthday and Mrs. King died January 30, fifteen days after his birthday.

And, although I was personally against it, Mrs. King laid in state at the Georgia Capitol today. When Dr. King died, then Gov. Lester Maddox refused to fly the flags at half-staff, let alone allow the Drum Major for Justice lie in state.

We watched the beginning of the service from home. It made my heart swell a million times over as the horse drawn carriage approached the capitol. The two drivers, one standing, one sitting, covered their hearts with their hats. When Mrs. King's casket was withdrawn from the carriage, the sun broke through the clouds and let out some awesome rays. The gloomy morning paused to acknowledge this historical moment. The crowd cheered and roared thunderously as Mrs. King, carried by Georgia State Troopers, made her way up the first set of capital steps. Via the Troopers' synchronized motions, her casket strutted past the statue of Eugene Talmedge, former Georgia governor and proud segregationist. I declare Talmedge's outstretched hand went limp, dropping his hankerchief, and his jaw dropped.

My eyes filled with tears as Mrs. King's body ascended upon the second and final set of outer steps. Breaking the threshold, she passed under the flags that sit atop the capitol, which under the ordrers of Governor Perdue, have been at half-staff since her death was announced. The crowd's response grew even louder, as if they were gently, lovingly pushing her through the door with their vocal encouragement. I believe that at that very moment, Lester Maddox' dust, buried a mere sixteen miles north of the capitol doors, burst into flames. Her body safely inside, representing for all mankind, the sun nodded, drifted behind the clouds and then a light rain began to fall.

I had mixed emotions as we made our way towards the capitol; it sits at the intersection of thoroughfares named for the father of this nation (Washington Street) and the father of the civil rights movement in America (Martin Luther King Jr. Drive). Although I sometimes pass this building several times a week, this would be my first time actually inside since moving here six years ago. Up until it was announced that Mrs. King would lie in state, I had no previous desire to enter the building. In my admittedly sometimes jaded mind, it has always represented racism at its finest. Still, I was determined to pay my respects to a woman who's picture should be in the dictionary next to the words sacrifice and integrity. The forty-five minute wait only seemed like ten; though it was a bit chilly, the atmosphere was light. People fellowshipped and reminiscened. My family and I were three of over 40,000 to honor her memory. Mrs. King looked beautiful.

On the way home, we talked a little, mostly reflecting. I wondered aloud how Mrs. King is enjoying Heaven. The spiritual, "Hush, Somebody's Calling My Name," came to mind. It's been over 20 years since I have heard this song. It was sang by characters in Roots when they received word that Abraham Lincoln had been shot. I have been humming it all evening.

The Revolution is still being televised. Come on out...we'll save you a spot in line.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You have blown me away! Yes, I was there at the beginning but felt no urgency to be there, except in spirit, at the end; but I feel so proud that those of you who came behind recognize the importance of passing the well-earned respect on to those who are coming behind you! You do us all proud!

Anonymous said...

Evocation: you've shown more than a picture. I feel I'm there. When you say "I declare Talmedge's outstretched hand went limp..." I can see that starched (starched by a 'faithful' servant no doubt) white white hankie drop along with his rigid jaw.
And when the swelling sound of the crowd seems to push Corretta Scott King through the capitol doors, simultaneously setting Lester Maddox's dust aflame,
WELL, you have it ALL there, cinematically, realer than real.
I went to the memorial at Ebenezer. John Lewis said to go there, not to Bishop Eddie Long's. And last night, in hour after hour of cold rain, people stood--families and old folks and underdressed teenagers trying to act cool--people who walked there and took MARTA and drove in cars so packed their windows were steamed and sweating---and I heard stories, and I heard people finding old friends and making new ones, and laughing and smelling some good dinner smells rising --we were mostly hungry cause we all came straight from work--and I did ask myself, and I continue to ask--please let me be part of the beloved community instead of this dog-eat-dog plutocracy that trashes women and children first. I'm ready to stand on line for the revolution. I loved standing in the rain last night, feeling the dampness seep up my boots and clothes. I could wait there stand there a long time especially if there was singing. sarah