26 May 2006

MORE OR LESS...

Was talking with a co-worker the other day and the subject of street names came up. We specifically discussed roads that have been renamed in honor of civil rights leaders. My associate became intrigued when while during our conversation on another subject, I referenced a street named for a 1960's general for justice, but only called the thoroughfare by the honoree's last name. Now, I must mention here that this co-worker is of the caucasian persuassion and grew up in the North.

They seemed shocked that I simply said, "Lowery," and not "Rev. Joseph L. Lowery Boulevard." Most people, especially Blacks, tend to say the entire name as it is so named. Never really thought of my shortcuts as sacrilige, or anything of the like. Still, I wonder how other folks feel. It is wrong to simply say, "MLK," "Abernathy," "Parks," or "X"? Does it in any way take away from the meaning or momentum behind the renaming, recognition of their sacrifice, and dedication of the street in their honor? Is it disrepectful?

No comments: