27 December 2006

LYFE PURSUITE

As first I thought the studios and Will Smith had done us dirty by releasing “The Pursuit of Happyness” the week before Christmas. I mean, come on—a film about a homeless man (
Chris Gardner) and his son (Christopher Gardner)? “Feel good movie,” is not the term that comes to mind you read the summary or see the trailers. Still, I went anyway…

Damn is this a good flick!

Ever get tired of banging your head against the wall? Ever feel like if you do not step away and make a change, you are going to explode? But at the same time, do you think that if you change courses you will fail miserably? Well Chris Gardner’s story is, in part, about when there is no other alternative but to change courses, even though chances are, that you will fail miserably.

Another part of the movie that almost got lost because of the film's pace is the relationship between a father and his son; more so, the commitment of a man to be a father to his son. It sometimes means having to say no, or break a promise or two. The scene where they run for the bus and Christopher loses his favorite toy ripped my heart out; missing this bus might mean sleeping on the street. As a parent, these are the things that happen; tough choices have to be made, even if it means you lose something in the process.

It is really out of sight that Mr. Smith is doing some different things. Oh, can’t wait for him to do another shoot ‘em up movie. But between “Hitch” and “The Pursuit of Happyness,” he is doing out-freaking-standing work. We can almost forgive him for “The Legend of Bagger Vance” and “Wild, Wild West.” But I digress…

Would love to meet Mr. Gardner. Not just because he is a homelessman-turned-multi-millionaire. But to thank him for sharing his story. His Pursuit of Happyness has given me an infinite amount of encouragement.

Axe.

Currently Listening To: I Almost Let Go by Kurt Carr, Hold On To Your Faith by Detrick Haddon

1 comment:

persistence said...

This is one of those stories that keep me motivated: Follow your dream at almost any cost. I've not seen this one yet, but I love it when "mature" people, such as myself, take a chance to do what Joseph Campbell called, "following your bliss". This year, I left a job that most people would consider a "good government job" to continue and complete my education and ultimately write for a living. Most peopl thought I was crazy, but it's one of the best decisions I've made in the last ten years. I feel encouraged by stories like this, and knowing that it is based on a true story makes it all the more motivating.