22 March 2008

BELIEVE

Hebrews 11:1

Had a 6th grade teacher, a nun, no less, that gave my classmates and I an easy way to remember how to spell the word "believe." The very late Sister Mary John Boscoe would say, "Even if you truly believe something, there is always a lie right in the middle of it."

Wow.

Almost thirty years later, her words still hang on me.

Headly, Sneadly and I are temporarily living in the mid-west. Columbus, Ohio to be exact. It's the state capital and a college town. Was on the way to Whole Foods yesterday near OSU (my Bohemian/Buppie Heaven) and saw a guy pushing his vehicle. As he moved with all his might, I could hear his body crying "ouch." It was a mini-van, too; triple "ouch."

With all my heart, I wanted to get out and help this guy. I've been stranded by the side of the road more times than I care to remember. Some times people stopped, but most times they didn't. Dude was going the opposite direction and that part of Lane Ave. does not allow for parking, let alone stopped vehicles. I was in the car with Sneadly, who is 14 and cannot drive yet. Plus, traffic was flowing pretty swift. Making a u-turn would have been tough. Cars were flying past this guy and nobody was stopping. I scanned ahead to the next block, thinking maybe I could park up there and run back. But it looked like a No Parking zone, too.

So, I did all I could do. I prayed for help.

Just as I said "Amen," an older gentleman stopped. He and his son jumped out and began pushing, while his wife took the wheel of their car. It was amazing. And when I said they starting "pushing the hell out of that mini-van," I declare there almost appeared to be a cloud of dust rising up under their feet!

I need to add that help arrived just as the guy was approaching a hill. I am sure he knew that hill was there, but he did not stop and kept going anyway. His perseverance is remarkable.

Never give up; never quit. And keep the faith.

Axe.

Currently Listening To: All Along The Watchtower (There Must Be A Way Out Of Here) by Jimi Hendrix, and Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds

Currently Reading: I Wish I Had A Red Dress by Pearl Cleage

AND...
Recently Watched (again): The Battle at Kruger on YouTube (talk about faith!)


1 comment:

persistence said...

Wow, sitting here struggling to defend the originality of a woman who wrote in a male dominated genre during the Renaissance period, in the quiet cubbie holes and halls of a college campus echoing because, well Hell, it's the first (or second) day of spring and it's beautiful outside, knowing I'll be 46 by the time I receive my bachelors degree...that little piece of inspiration was well worth the diversion. (Especially now that the coffee shop is closed).