09 October 2009

OTHER SIDE OF THE GAME


Tomorrow is the only day in the year that appeals to a lazy man.
~Jimmy Lyons
(late jazz saxophonist)


The time will come when winter will ask you what you were doing all summer.
~Henry Clay
(19th century U.S. statesman, who unsuccessfully ran for President five times)




I regret never learning to play a musical instrument. My parents tried. They really did. But I was simply lazy and rebellious.

So last year while at home in NYC, as I watch this guy at the corners of 6th Avenue and Bleeker Street play his ASS off, all I can do is sigh. "Red," we'll call him, had a small upright piano strapped to a moving cart. And of course, he had a bucket out front. A few people wonder aloud how he got the piano out to the park. It wasn't heavy, but Red is a bit on the thin side. Plus, he is giving his all with each tune, playing like his life depends on it; more likely than not, his rent probably depended on it. So the chances that he has energy to spare are nil.




He had quite a nice crowd, mainly people sitting in the park chilling. A few people dance. How I envied him. See, at the end of the day, he may not have a place to sleep, but he will eat. That is a message I tell my kids, Headly and Sneadly. Doesn't seem to be getting through to them, though. While they don't give the same argument I gave to my parents, they still offer the signature blank stare. Maybe when they get to be 40-plus like me, they'll understand.

I drop a lone dollar in Red's bucket and advise him to play a little hip-hop. He smiles politely, but I can tell the notion almost makes him want to earl. I tell him, "No worries" and move on. The last thing I need was for him to break out into a bad rendition of Tupac's "California Love" or something by Mary J. Blige. Then I might have earled, too.

Still, I thought about Red on the train ride back to Brooklyn. Persistence pays off; if he continues to push that piano around, playing like he is Ray Charles' long lost cousin, he will get the break he has obviously worked for. I had the chance to be where he is, but chose avid television watching and Encyclopedia Brown, Donald Goines and Judy Blume books over practice. Now, I'll have to pay to see Red and others perform. What a price.

Axe.

Currently Reading: Buddha by Deepak Choprah
Currently Listening To: Brighter Day by Kirk Franklin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although you might want the best for your kids, and try to enlighten them on things to come, you know they have to learn on their own. ''Experience is the on the thing get after you need it.'' But nonetheless experience is also what makes up who and what we are.

I try to keep myself grounded in knowing that everday is a test... No I am not the ''church going'' sister that you will find up and in service each Sunday, but I do fear the Lord.

''Red'' may not appear to have much accept his piano on wheels, with a pail attached for tips, but his happiness might be far more richer than any millionaire.... and that my friend is all i strive for.

Keep on writing girl, it's your livelyhood.