28 May 2008

WHAT YOU SEE, IS WHAT YOU GET...?
Does "Writing" The "Wrongs" Mean I'll Be Broke


It took many years for me to officially become a writer. Writing is something I have always loved and it has been quite some journey getting "here." Along the way, I have done my best to keep my skills honed, writing whenever and wherever I can, even if sometimes it means doing so for free.

Also, along the way, I listened to those who were "doing what they loved." One such person was Tavis Smiley. Mr. Smiley, a Black activist-slash-man of considerable intelligence-slash-radio host-slash-television hot-slash-author, always has tips for improving oneself. The advice to black people to "read stuff other than Jet, Ebony and Essence" was something that struck a chord with me.

As a result, I started watching and became fascinated with "60 Minutes." On the surface, the show is boring. But then I began to dissect some of the stories they ran. Some had a spin on it that I, as a journalist could see right through. A few however, left me wondering: are the shows' producers pro or con on the war, are they part of this country's racial problems or solution, how much longer are they going to subject us to Andy Rooney's commentaries, etc.

Still, yet another question was born: will journalism leave me poor and looking broke down? Sure, Diane Sawyer, Barbara Walters, and a few others always look good. But some of the real hard-hitting reporters, especially the ones on "60 Minutes," look like hell. During the two years that I avidly watched the show, beyond being enlightened, I noticed quite a few things. The late (and great) Brother Ed Bradley who worked almost up until he passed away, was in serious need of dental repair. Leslie Stahl cannot afford contacts or at the very least, a pair of glasses that do not look like she picked them up at the grocery store.

And, while I dig that Andy Rooney loves comfortable shoes, he works for the oldest news show on television. Surely he can afford some new kicks; ones better than the truly dogged out pair he showed America...or can he?

Axe.

Currently Reading: Not a doggone thing!
Currently Listening To: God Bless The Child by David Peaston

No comments: