05 May 2008

SEEN/HEARD
(I Got To Be Me)




"...I'm constantly late. Being on time is for white people."
--Singer Erykah Badu



I would not wait for this heifer if she did not arrive on time for a scheduled meeting; keeping someone waiting is inconsiderate and a sign of disrespect.

Still, I will unashamedly admit, I love this quote and I'm digging Erykah's style. Brutal honesty, although in this case a little self-destructive, is like a breathe of fresh air on a muggy day; welcomed relief from all the "heaviness." When there is bullshit going on, honest answers to tough questions separate the lies from the truth. Ms. Badu lets us know up front: as an African-American, she will not be confined by time (I wonder if how "E" would handle an IRS audit? The IRS doesn't have a lot of real love for us folk these days; just ask gospel singer Yolanda Adams...).

Again, I do not dig blatant tardiness, but respect and appreciate that Ms. Queen Neo-Soul freely expresses herself, even at the risk of sounding a tad racist. Shit, if I was not already impressed by her singing and writing skills before, I would be now.




Do you, girl! I may never interview Miss "Too-Eccentric-For-Her-Own-Damn-Good," or ever get to work with her, nevertheless she handle hers!

Axe.

Currently Reading: We Gotta Have It--20 Years of Seeing Blacks At The Movies by Esther Iverem.
Currently Listening To: Honey by Erykah Badu (but of course!)

No comments: