26 January 2008

SEEN/HEARD

I was very moved by the Brooklyn Congregations Together (BCT) sponsored Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration. I was also enlightened, inspired and, alas quite amused by some of what I heard; check this out:


"I'll treat this like the Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds affair...I won't hold you long."
--says Rev. Clinton Miller, Pastor of Brown Memorial Baptist Church to parishioners as a promise to be brief with his sermon.



Also Heard...
Upon a request for a few more dollars for the offering*, an Assemblywoman (local politico) rudely shouts from the audience, "Play some 'giving' music!"

Not skipping a beat, Dr. Johnny Ray Youngblood, Pastor Mentor of St. Paul's Community Baptist Church replies, "Do they pay 'giving' music when you pay your bills? No."

*
the offering, in its entirety is being donated to the MLK Memorial in DC.


Currently Listening To: "I'm Looking For A Miracle By the Clark Sisters," "Ye Of Little Faith," by Yolanda Adams
Currently Reading: Speak So You Can Speak Again: The Life of Zora Neale Hurston by Lucy Hurston

No comments: